Lawrence Hall

Lawrence HallProminently located at the center of campus and housing classrooms, auditorium, visual resource center and faculty offices as well as WCMA, Lawrence Hall is a landmark in the history of the college. The original core, a neoclassical rotunda in an 1846 two-story brick octagon, was designed by Thomas S. Tefft as the college’s first library. Housing the burgeoning art department and fine arts collections, that core was dramatically expanded by internationally renowned architect Charles Moore in 1983 and 1986. The ironic columns, which whimsically support none of the weight of a 4-story addition, epitomize the lively gravitas of art history at Williams.