July 2021: Audio/video tour of Roy Lichtenstein: Monet’s Garden Goes Pop!,(14 min 12 sec)written and recorded by Carol Ockman, Curator at Large; introduction by Jennifer Rominiecki, President and CEO
RED PATIENCE exhibition of work from Johanna Breiding in collaboration with fellow artist Izidora L. LETHE, opens April 17 running through June 5, 2021 at the Bass & Reiner Gallery in San Francisco: https://www.bassandreiner.com/
Designer and sound artist A. Frei contributed as well, with the design of a take-away risograph print, which includes a collaborative text by Izidora and Johanna. Those in San Francisco who feel safe and able to venture into the gallery, please make an appointment through the gallery site.
- Johanna Breiding has been selected to participate in this year’s TBA 21 (Thyssen-Bornemisza Art Contemporary) Ocean Space Fellowship Program in Venice Italy. Together with Shoghig Halajian, they will be working on a new film project and with an accompanying photographic body of work, a continuation of Johanna’s last exhibition, Playing Submarine.
You can read more about TBA 21 Academy and Ocean Space here:
Sarah Rara is presenting a new 2 channel video work “Perfect Touch” that will be projected at architectural scale in Downtown LA on the North/South facing facades of 154 South Olive Street on April 9 from 7-10pm.link to exhibition website: https://luminexla.com
In Perfect Touch 2021, a set of hands present string figure games in sequence: giving and receiving, relaying connections, modeling networks, patterns to inhabit, digit upon digit. The two channels, situated on opposite faces, form a digital embrace across a divide, mirroring with difference. String figure games model our interconnectedness, searching for a way to visualize the influence that one body exerts on another. Making use of the physical interval, Perfect Touch explores the in-between spaces and invisible entanglements between us, navigating connection alongside distance and loss.
- Mike Glier’s Bird Songs of the Boston Public Garden currently on display March 20 – April 24, 2021 at the Krakow Witkin Gallery on Newbury Street in Boston, MA. For images of the individual works in the exhibition: https://www.krakowwitkingallery.com/exhibitions/mike-glier-bird-songs-of-the-boston-public-garden/
For images of other works by Glier: https://www.krakowwitkingallery.com/artists/mike_glier/
Read the review: https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/04/08/arts/painter-finds-boston-public-garden-bursting-with-birdsong/
- Carol Ockman, Curator at Large, Marie Selby Botanical Gardens, Pop Goes the Easel: Roy Lichtenstein Does Claude Monet Tuesday, Feb. 16, 12-1 PM https://7082.blackbaudhosting.com/7082/Spring-2021-Lichtenstein-Exhibition-Keynote-Lecture
- The Barn at Downing Yudain has organized An Open Season, a virtual exhibition and catalog of Michael Glier’s recent paintings to open their 2021 season with a wonderful exhibition of his field studies – en plien air (works made outdoors in nature), and large-scale studio paintings. An insightful essay by renowned scholar Valerie Ann Leeds is included in the linked catalogue. https://issuu.com/art357.com/docs/mike_glier-an_open_season_1-20-21/3
- Laylah Ali featured in Art 21’s In the Studio series https://art21.org/read/in-the-studio-laylah-ali/
- Cecilia Aldarondo featured on the podcast, Temperature Check, discussing how Puerto Ricans are rebuilding post-Hurricane María. https://grist.org/temperature-check/listen-how-puerto-ricans-are-rebuilding-post-hurricane-maria/
- Michael Lewis’s ‘A Triumphant, User-Friendly Addition’ about Steven Holl Architects’ Nancy and Rich Kinder Building at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, publication in the Wall Street Journal, December 2020: https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-triumphant-user-friendly-addition-11605960002?
- Johanna Breiding’s Solo Exhibition Summer Fugue at O’ Project Space, October 2020: https://www.oprojectspacela.com/ and they’re art auction, INCOGNITO at ICA LA: https://icalaincognito.org/auctions/incognito-2020
- The Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts awarded a Curatorial Fellowship to Professor C. Ondine Chavoya and curator David Evans Frantz to support preparation of a retrospective of artist Teddy Sandoval (1949–1995) scheduled for 2022–23 at the Williams College Museum of Art and the Vincent Price Art Museum at East Los Angeles College:
- Cecilia Aldarondo’s film “Memories of a Penitent Heart” is on the list of the most important American Latino films of the past two decades discussed by Carlos Aguilar in the New York Times on October 1st, 2020: The American Latino Experience: 20 Essential Films Since 2000 https://www.nytimes.com/article/latino-movies.html
- Johanna Breiding showed a video titled Demonstrative Score, that they made in collaboration with taisha paggett that is a part of ARCHIVE MACHINES exhibition at LAMAG: https://www.lamag.org/portfolio_page/archive-machinesjuly-30-november-1-2020-2/
- Barbara Takenaga, Mary A. and William Wirt Warren Professor of Art, Emerita, receiving a Guggenheim Fellowship for 2020-21: https://www.barbaratakenaga.com/blog/2020/4/13/barbara-takenaga-is-a-recipient-of-the-2020-john-simon-guggenheim-fellowship
- “An Archive Of Exchange”: C. Ondine Chavoya On Chicanx And Latinx Art History from In the Foreground: Conversations on Art & Writing by The Clark: https://www.clarkart.edu/research-academic/podcast/c-ondine-chavoya